I had many jobs planned this weekend including cutting all the timber that came from the framework of the wall we removed between two rooms and the old floor boards that were lifted. With the threat of more rain I got stuck in with the circular saw determined to finish before the next deluge. Let me tell you, old timber, arthritic hands and power saws don’t create harmony. I did however turn this –
Into this! A very useful pile of wood cut into a size that goes into the wood fired stove easily. Should be a few good meals from this lot! May take a few days for my hands to recover though.
Garden beds and landscape progressing well.
When we demolished the old bungalow from the back yard we kept discovering layer upon layer of old concrete and bricks buried about a foot (and more) below the existing soil level. Both the concrete and bricks are being reused into the landscape. Bricks are being used as part of the brick edging and the concrete is being used where we need a harder surface on high traffic areas and as paving in the greenhouse. I wish I knew why that were so far below the surface but feel happy that they are being recycled into the new design.
We will sow grass seed in the soil beside and between the stones giving a nice hardy, practical walkway that will handle wheelbarrows and mower etc. Time to plan a nice rustic gate and fence that will suit the vegie patch.
In the kitchen.
With no dedicated kitchen to speak of, I was at a bit of a loss when the microwave decided to turn up its heels and kark it. After considering whether or not we actually need a microwave, we did decide to replace it with a modest one. Handy for those small jobs of melting, thawing and especially for scrambled eggs. Does a cracker job of those.
I had planned due to the bad weather forecast, to spend the day indoors fuelling the wood stove and creating a range of goodies. However to wake and find the sun shining it was too good an opportunity to finish cutting the wood. I did still manage to bake some Anzac biscuits, make some roasted red capsicum, tomato and red lentil soup and tried doing spag bog in the slow cooker. All worked well and once again I can only extol the value of the slow cooker. Photos sadly lacking but they did taste great! I will put together the recipes at a later date and post them.
Hopefully the concrete slab in the garage will be done this week which means the builder can fill in the shed walls, I can put my berries into their permanent place and a garden shed can be installed. Talk about the domino effect! Oh well, all in good time.