You know those times when you start a job and within 30 minutes you wish hadn’t, 2 hours in you know if you don’t finish it you probably wont go back to it and you push yourself past the pain barrier to get it done. Today was like that! Yesterday I got the first wicking bed ready to start filling with gravel, I laid out the agi-pipe on the base of the bed, inserted the overflow outlet and connected the pipes for filling. Quite a good afternoons work.
Then came Sunday!
Today it was time to place a 30cm layer of gravel into the bed to cover the agi-pipe. This bottom level has been lined with heavy-duty builders plastic and weed mat and will act as a reservoir for water that will ‘wick’ its way up through the soil (that’s the next job) allowing the roots of the plants good access to water. Similar in principle to the self watering pots you can buy. Statistics say using this method can save up to 50% of water used in maintaining the planted bed.
Doesn’t sound much but gravel is heavy and with some hand issues that reduce gripping strength it was a challenge to complete, with my husband in China and plumber son out of action with an injury I couldn’t plea to them for assistance, so armed with determination and shovel I started. Established a good little pattern – 15 shovels to the wheel barrow, up to the bed then shovel it into the bed. This bed is 6 metres long and my hands were rebelling furiously. With the help of some loud music and many jugs of water I finally completed the mission! These beds had better perform brilliantly! Finished in time to go home, dose up on pain relief, have a lovely hot bath and prepare for my son’s birthday dinner. Thank goodness for the slow cooker!